Shaping a gender equal world – Charities supporting women’s achievements
Today is International Women’s Day – a day celebrating the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women around the world. In addition to reflecting on inspiring women, today also marks a call to action for accelerating gender equality.
For well over a century, International Women’s Day has been recognised and celebrated around the world. Though a lot of great work has been done, this year’s theme – #BreakTheBias – reminds us that we must step up and be aware of the significant impact that bias has on women’s equality. Whether it’s conscious or unconscious bias, we need to recognise it and call it out.
To commemorate International Women’s Day this year, we’ll be connecting with charities supporting women’s achievements. How will you recognise International Women’s Day?
International Women’s Day 2022
The theme for this year’s International Women’s Day is #BreakTheBias. Whether deliberate or not, bias makes it difficult for women to get ahead. Unfortunately, knowing that bias exists isn’t enough. We need to harness the power of collective action to move toward gender equality.
We’re inspired when we think of a world that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive. A world where everyone is celebrated and valued. A world free of bias and discrimination.
Gender inequality in numbers
- Nearly 60% of women around the world work in the informal economy, earning less and saving less, and are at a greater risk of falling into poverty
- Women earn 23% less than men globally
- Women occupy only 24% of the parliamentary seats worldwide
- Women make up over 50% of the workforce in Australia, but less than 20% of CEOs
- Over 85% of Australian employers still pay men more than women on average.
Make an impact through charities supporting women
We’ve given you the stats and facts on gender inequality, now we encourage you to make a positive impact by donating to charities supporting women’s achievements in honour of International Women’s Day 2022.
Through the power of collective action, we can all #BreaktheBias. Giving generously to the charities below enables women and girls to continue fighting for gender equality. Together, we can break the bias, today and every day. Your support empowers women across the globe to tackle gender inequality head on.
Charities supporting women – Promoting women’s rights
- UN Women National Committee Australia is the United Nations entity responsible for promoting women’s empowerment and gender equality and was established to accelerate progress to meet the needs of women and girls worldwide.
- Women’s Legal Services is an independent non-profit organisation that provides a voice for women in NSW, and promotes access to justice, particularly for women who are disadvantaged by their social and economic circumstances.
- YWCA Australia is a leading national feminist organisation working towards a future where all women, young women and girls are equal, safe and respected. They advocate for women leading change, and fight for gender equality and women’s rights.
- International Women’s Development Agency Overseas Aid Fund aims to progress the rights of women and girls through promoting women in leadership, strengthen women’s safety and advance systematic change.
- Dress for Success Sydney empowers women to achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire and the development tools to help women thrive in work and in life.
- The Katrina Dawson Foundation aims to remove barriers and create opportunities for exceptional young women to fulfil their potential through scholarships, fellowships, and mentoring programs. The financial and mentoring support enables young women to create a positive impact on the Australian community.
- Women’s Circus is a not-for-profit arts organisation offering a year-round circus and performance training program and producing socially engaged arts projects.
- Karitane provides accessible, evidence-based services that support families to parent confidently.
- SisterWorks aims to support women who are refugees, asylum seekers or migrants to improve their confidence, mental well-being, sense of belonging and economic outlook.
- One Girl Australia breaks down the barriers that girls face in accessing an education by running girl-led programs in Sierra Leone and Uganda to drive positive change for girls and their communities.
Charities supporting women and fighting homelessness
- Women’s Community Shelters works with communities to establish new shelters, which provide short-term emergency accommodation and support in a safe environment that enables homeless women to rebuild self-esteem and achieve control and fulfilment of their lives.
- Mission Australia is a respected and innovative provider of social and affordable homes, Mission Australia Housing works to deliver housing solutions in vibrant communities.
- Women’s Property Initiatives creates new beginnings for women and children at risk of homelessness by providing permanent and affordable homes, access to support networks and ongoing advocacy.
Charities supporting women affected by domestic violence
- White Ribbon Australia works to eliminate gendered violence in Australia to create a society where all women and children are safe.
- Domestic Violence Crisis Service is a non-government, not-for-profit specialist domestic and family violence service that seeks to reduce violence and abuse in relationships. They provide crisis and long-term support services to help break the domestic and family violence cycle.
- The Global Women’s Project provides women with access to information, skills, resources and community to promote their rights.
Charities supporting women’s health
- National Breast Cancer Foundation is Australia’s leading national body funding world-class, game-changing breast cancer research.
- Ovarian Cancer Australia is an independent national not-for-profit organisation, supporting women diagnosed with ovarian cancer by providing care and support for those affected by ovarian cancer.
- McGrath Foundation support individuals and their families experiencing breast cancer. Their nurses provide physical, psychological and emotional support from the time of diagnosis, throughout treatment.
Charities supporting women addressing climate change
- 1 Million Women unites women from every corner of the planet building a lifestyle revolution to fight the climate crisis.
Make an impact through charities supporting women