There are many women’s charities that are dedicated to supporting women through the areas of education, health and support initiatives. Our incredible leader, Lisa Grinham, has highlighted 20 women’s charities out of more than 2,500 charities on the Good2Give Workplace Giving Platform to consider donating to this International Women’s Day.
Take a look at the following charity recommendations and don’t forget to donate through Good2Give to be eligible for any corporate fund matching.
Charities promoting women’s rights
- UN Women National Committee Australia is the United Nations entity responsible for promoting women’s empowerment and gender equality and was established to accelerate progress to meet the needs of women and girls worldwide.
- Women’s Legal Services is an independent non-profit organisation that provides a voice for women in NSW, and promotes access to justice, particularly for women who are disadvantaged by their social and economic circumstances.
- YWCA Australia is a leading national feminist organisation working towards a future where all women, young women and girls are equal, safe and respected. They advocate for women leading change, and fight for gender equality and women’s rights.
- International Women’s Development Agency Overseas Aid Fund aims to progress the rights of women and girls through promoting women in leadership, strengthen women’s safety and advance systematic change.
- Dress for Success Sydney empowers women to achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire and the development tools to help women thrive in work and in life.
- The Katrina Dawson Foundation aims to remove barriers and create opportunities for exceptional young women to fulfil their potential by issuing scholarships for undergraduates to attend The Women’s College within the University of Sydney.
- Women’s Circus is a not for profit arts organisation offering a year round circus and performance training program and producing socially engaged arts projects.
- Karitane provides accessible, evidence based services that support families to parent confidently.
Women’s charities fighting homelessness
- Women’s Community Shelters works with communities to establish new shelters, which provide short-term emergency accommodation and support in a safe environment that enables homeless women to rebuild self-esteem and achieve control and fulfillment of their lives.
- Mission Australia is a respected and innovative provider of social and affordable homes, Mission Australia Housing works to deliver housing solutions in vibrant communities.
- Women’s Property Initiatives creates new beginnings for women & children at risk of homelessness by providing permanent & affordable homes, access to support networks & ongoing advocacy.
Domestic Violence Charities
- White Ribbon Australia works to eliminate gendered violence in Australia to create a society where all women and children are safe.
- Domestic Violence Crisis Service is a non-government, not-for-profit specialist domestic and family violence service that seeks to reduce violence and abuse in relationships. They provide crisis and long-term support services to help break the domestic and family violence cycle.
- The Global Women’s Project provides women with access to information, skills, resources and community to promote their rights.
International Women’s Charities
- One Girl Australia breaks down the barriers that girls face in accessing an education by running girl-led programs in Sierra Leone and Uganda to drive positive change for girls and their communities.
- SisterWorks aims to support women who are refugees, asylum seekers or migrants to improve their confidence, mental well-being, sense of belonging and economic outlook.
Women’s health charities
- National Breast Cancer Foundation is Australia’s leading national body funding world-class, game-changing breast cancer research.
- Ovarian Cancer Australia is an independent national not-for-profit organisation, supporting women diagnosed with ovarian cancer by providing care and support for those affected by ovarian cancer.
- McGrath Foundation support individuals and their families experiencing breast cancer. Their nurses provide physical, psychological and emotional support from the time of diagnosis, throughout treatment.
Women and Climate Change
- 1 Million Women unites women from every corner of the planet building a lifestyle revolution to fight the climate crisis.