Türkiye and Syria earthquakes – How to help
Last updated 8:20am 21/2/2023
What we know
On February 6 2023 a strong, 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck North-West Syria and Southern Turkey in the early pre-dawn, followed by aftershocks and reports of a second 7.5 magnitude quake at around 1:30pm. Two weeks later, on February 20, two more 6.4 and 5.8 magnitude earthquakes struck Turkey again.
At the time of writing there are over 46,000 confirmed deaths. Buildings have collapsed and reports indicate thousands being trapped in rubble and tens of thousands injured.
Thousands of buildings have been impacted, including many multi-story apartment blocks leaving not only the dead and wounded but thousands more homeless.
Compounding this disaster is severe weather, with the winter bringing freezing temperatures and the vast number of people in the area already displaced by the decade-long conflict in Syria.
How to help
Companies can utilise existing workplace giving mechanisms to promote and facilitate donations to charities in Australia that are able to provide international aid:
- Workplace Giving Platform appeal – How do I create an appeal?
- Corporate donations from Foundations accounts Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request grant distributions from your account
- Promote matched giving to boost employee donations
- If you do not have any disaster appeal mechanisms set up and would like assistance, please contact email@example.com
Charities providing international disaster relief support
- Australian Red Cross
- Human Appeal
- UNICEF Australia
- Islamic Relief Australia
- CARE Australia
- Caritas Australia
- Shelterbox Australia
- Australia for UNHCR
- Medecins Sans Frontieres Australia
- Unicef New Zealand
- Tearfund (NZ)
- World Vision Australia
- World Vision of New Zealand Trust Board
- Save the Children
- UN Women Australia
This list is being updated live as more charities mobilise support
Charities can set up a special project for their disaster appeal on the Good2Give platform, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org to speak with our support team.
I am an employee/donor
Follow these simple steps:
- Sign in to the Good2Give Workplace Giving Platform
- Check if your company has set up a charity appeal and make a donation
- If you can’t see a charity appeal, click on the Charities tab
- In the search bar enter TurkeySyriaQuake23
- Choose a charity (or charities) and donate
I own ASX listed shares that I would like to donate
- Visit the ShareGIft Australia website
- Download a donation form
- Complete the donation form
- Print, then sign and date the form and scan it to email@example.com
- If your donation is valued at over $500 consider nominating one of the charities, supporting relief efforts
Please check regularly for live updates on the charities supporting this disaster relief effort and learn more about the services that can help you raise funds.